Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dragon Boat Races

We went to the Dragon Boat Races today that were held in Naha. This is a cultural tradition in Japan and occurs every year during Golden Week (which is a number of special holidays all strung together), which is going on right now. Basically, the whole country shuts down for a number of days and everyone travels and celebrates. Ironic as it may be, in 2005, David and I vacationed in Okinawa during Golden Week and now we live here :). We weren't able to make it to the boat races during that trip, so I was adamant about going today, even though David reminded me 1,000 times that he HATES festivals (Thank you Gilroy...I actually hate festivals too, but this was an exception). That time the championship game had already happened and we were planning on heading home not too much longer after that...I wish that were the case now! Literally, everything in Osaka was closed...Banks, grocery stores, exchange places...Everyone went to Okinawa to relax! Today was the final day of all the festivities and it is called Children's Day/Boys' Day. There was a huge carnival (think fair) at the port while the boat races were going on. We were up and at 'em at 5:45am this morning (Thank you Scarlett AND Preston) so we got there just as everything was starting which was nice. It was hot but it got hotter and we found parking nearby and fast...One good thing about waking with the sun...The early bird gets the worm. Preston rode the train ride, we had a corn dog the size of David's head, a snow cone the size of his head, and a huge bag of cotton candy. It was fun! As a side note, this weekend is round 1 of playoffs...David's team has a bye weekend, hence no work today. Good luck to all the teams...We will find out who David's team plays on Sunday.

 Soooo tall!!
 Two peas in a pod
 Dragon Boat
 Just the "4" of us
 35 weeks
 Big man on campus
 Loving mama's snow cone
Dragon Boat

1 comment:

  1. Hey Michelle!
    I can't believe I found you here. This is Mayumi from your old YMCA. You used to work with Paul? Anyway, we were in Okinawa in March and saw David on a poster at Family Mart! We were like "Is that Michelle's...?". Then I googled (of course) to see if it was really the David, and your blog came up! Wow, I guess a lot has happened since I last saw you! You are back in Japan!
    My life's been the same. Still teaching, still married, still in Kansai (Kobe). I have my blog up in English too if you are interested!
    Good luck with everything, including the big thing in your belly! Gambatte-!

    ReplyDelete