Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Japan vs. America

So.. the differences between the two cultures have already started in regards to pregnancy. One major difference is regarding weight gain. I was informed today that I should not weigh more than 64kg=140lbs, when I deliver. Please remember, I am
5'8". CRAZY, is all I can say. I have a feeling they will be very very disappointed in me, when I have my final weigh-in. I am not sure how or if I can pull this off, being that I have already gained half of my allotted amount. In America, I am right on track. This will be interesting....Let me tell you where I headed after this day long appointment....a burger joint. I guess the pregancy diet can start tomorrow!

Another difference is that health insurance does not cover maternity care because it is viewed as a natural occurrence, not a medical issue. So... we have to pay out of pocket, then the government will reimburse us (if I can figure how to apply). Today, I had coupon for my first appointment for $80, which I got yesterday, when I registered my pregnancy. Thank god, I did not give up yesterday! I had an office visit, 2 urine samples collected (TMI), blood tests, and a sonogram done for $130. This is without insurance. In American, the ultrasound alone costs $300. It is no wonder people go bankrupt from paying medical bills in America.

And, lastly, their pregnancy calendar is actually 10 months long. They do not use weeks as a dating tool, like we do. I am in my 6 month here!

One of the nice things (I guess it is nice) is that I am getting double the medical treatment. I had another ultrasound today for a quick second and everything was normal. Also, they have to run all of the same tests, as in the U.S., so if there is a mistake somewhere, it is bound to be caught.

It is kind of strange to be back. At the hospital, I was the only foreigner. There were no other non-Asian people, that I saw. Just picture it.... ha ha!